Old December 7th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Default 6L6 substitute

ken scharf wrote:

snip
(I've heard of 807's taking over 1000 volts on the
plate just fine!).

The official ICAS ratings for the 807 allow up to 750 volts at 100ma
plate current, and there is a typical operation shown at 75 watts input,
so at 50w your transmitter wasn't even breaking a sweat yet! A pair of
807's in AB2 (SSB linear) will put out 120w PEP, just about the same as
a pair of 6146's. The 6146B officially will do about 135-140w in the
same service.

snip

FWIW, here is a homebrew quad 837/807 linear that does 2kw PEP with 2KV on the
plates (I have it but did not homebrew this one):

http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/837_linear

I took the photos some years ago using a digital camera with focus and image
burn issues; this summer I intend to reshoot these with a better camera.

Michael