Old April 9th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default FM Antenna Improvement

On Apr 8, 2:43*am, "Sanjaya" wrote:
-
- I tried this yesterday afternoon and this morning and was
- pretty impressed with the difference it made in FM reception.
- Previously unheard stations have started showing up for me.
- Anyone interested in FM stuff might want to try this nifty
- and inexpensive antenna setup (adapable I'm sure for your
- specific requirements)
-
- My radio is a Tecsun BCL 2000 with PAL FM antenna
- connection, so I needed the second item below. The whole
- setup cost me $19 with tax.
-
- Parts needed:
- Radio Shack Catalog #15-1874
- Budget TV Antenna $13.00
- (comes with 4 foot coax and F-connector)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103077&cp

-
- Radio Shack Catalog #278-265
- European TV Adapter $4.50
- (Female F to Female PAL)
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...Id=&kw=278-265

- Universal-radio.com has it cheaper
-
- 30 seconds to put it together and voila... immediately found
- a station that I hadn't heard before. I tested it by unhooking
- the coax. The station disappeared. Put antenna back in and
- there it was again.

Sanjaya,

You simply substituted the Radio's 1/4WL Whip Antenna
for an FM 1/2WL Dipole Antenna giving you more Gain and
Directionality {Horizontal} and less Noise {Balanced}.

Whip Antenna - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_antenna

Dipole Antenna - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna

Read - A Discussion of Antenna Theory
-by- Paul Graham [K9ERG]
http://k9erg.tripod.com/theory.htm

Review - Antenna Basics -by- Scott @ SE
http://www.signalengineering.com/ult...na_basics.html

All-Things-RF-Antennas
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/antennas.htm
-by- EDUCYPEDIA - The Educational Encyclopedia

FM Radio Reception Tips for FM and FM-Stereo
http://www.ccrane.com/library/fm-rec....11.12.01.aspx
-by- J. Carlos Perez - C.Crane Co.

The C. Crane Co. FM Reflect Antenna is also a very
good but simple FM Dipole Antenna for around $30.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/0143.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-an...t-antenna.aspx

Plus "That Something Extra" - Part # 2
The Simplest Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas That I Know Of . . .
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bed3e059ec70a3