Old February 13th 04, 04:34 PM
David Eduardo

This is a very complicated issue, going back to the ASCAP monopoly, which
ended withthe forming of BMI. Then the musicians' union required of many
stations payment, or even the maintenance of an in house band to be able to
play records.

I'm not an expert; you might seek out info on Barry Mishkind's site or do
some web searches.

"gbfmif" wrote in message
a redirect to

rec.radio.broadcasting, rec.radio.info

as I think David or Rich could answer this

[ RRB Moderator Note: At the request of the moderator of rec.radio.info, I
am setting followups to specifically *exclude* that group. He has asked

for
this setup on anything crossposted into RRI. ]

chartquest1954 wrote:

HI--Did radio stations play records before the settlement with the
musicians' union (in, I think, 1947)? This is part of the history I
just don't know, but I think that Johnny Mercer was one of the major
proponents for having recordings played on the radio, is this true?
One reason I am trying to figure this out, is because I am fervently
seeking radio station "top ten tunes" listings from any era up to
1956!! I understand these were sometimes printed in local newspapers,
perhaps on the Radio page? Perhaps they were also printed up
"looseleaf" for public distribution as well? I'd like to find at
least *some* of these (any help out there??), as well as finding out
any history of these so that I can have some idea of the scope of what
I'm seeking. It has been my impression that most stations playing
Popular Music had some kind of "top ten" (or other # of songs), but of
course there's no guarantee they were distributed in any form of
print.