Old April 7th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Nod Dloyd Nod Dloyd is offline

Default RG-6 Coaxial Cable for Ham use

I've recently read comments that several Hams have been using the RG-6
coaxial cable instead of the standard RG-8 or other commonly accepted cables
such as RG-58.
One said that he buys this RG-6 at one of the home warehouse stores and buys
it in 500 foot spools. He said it is far less expensive than the commonly
accepted cables we purchase from various Ham outlets.
Yes, it is 75 Ohm cable, but the users of same claim that it works quite
well and can withstand higher voltages than advertised and more than one
user claimed that they could run 1,500 watts through the cable with no
apparent deterioration.

If this is so, then I missed this open *secret*. Any input would be
welcome...especially the experiences of you who use it. I just happen to
have a spool of this cable in my garage that I purchased at an estate
auction some years ago and if it works as said, then I will cancel my order
with The Wireman.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Name and Call withheld to avoid spammers and Usenet flooders.

73