Old August 1st 05, 03:56 AM

Bert Craig wrote:
"K=D8HB" wrote in message
nk.net...

The 25WPM plateau seems related to sublimating copying to
a "middle
conscious" level, where the characters flow at an
almost sub-conscious
level from the ear to the fingertip without active
thought about the actual characters heard.

Sigh, I hope to get to this level eventually. I'm at the point where I'm
just starting to "hear" words like tnx, abt, the, fer, qsl,
qsb, name, op,
rst, etc. rather than spelling them in my head.

You're talking about two different skill sets.

Hans is talking about written copy - specifically,
copying on a mill (typewriter). Those who get
good at that skill set reach a point where they
really don't think about the incoming copy - it
just flows.

In some cases the op literally doesn't know the
content of the copy.

What you're experiencing is the beginnings of
conversational Morse Code. This is where you
understand the incoming Morse "directly", like
listening to someone talk.

Similar skill sets occur with sending.

--

Morse Code is much more than "an encoding scheme".

--

73 de Jim, N2EY

313