Old February 26th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default Silicone Grease In Coax Connectors; Comments And Questions ?

Hello:

Regarding those Si paste products that one see advertised to coat the
innards of a coax
type of connector to prevent moisture seepage, be an anti-oxidant, and all
other great things:

e.g. from ICE:

"Model 615 items are comprised of a synthetic silicon grease material, thick
but easily spreadable. Suggested uses are to fill the void of RE connections
or high voltage joints. Grease is easily pushed out of the way by mating
conductors, but fills the void around them to prevent air and moisture from
settling in. Excellent dielectric characteristics, non-miscible with most
chemical agents or vapors, grease is opaque and maintains thick viscous
nature in temperatures ranging from -60F to 500F."

Not at all certain about this, but my guess is that even after pushing the
contacts together, the boundary layer film that separates the metal male and
female parts would be at least of the order of a micron; probably more.

For transmitting power levels, I guess there is more than enough current
flow to puncture thru easily.

But what about for a receiving only application, with what, micro-amps,
across the gap ?

Does this silicone "layer" present any problems, or signal degradation, in
your experiences ?

Good thing to use in coax connectors going to a receiving antenna ? Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob