Old June 4th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
moronsbegone moronsbegone is offline

Default Convert DISH TV antenna for WIFI use. USB or RF FEED?

Kaz wrote in

I am looking for an easy way to convert a standard DISH TV
offset feed dish for WIFI use. I desire to mount this
thing on the rooftop for a long distance rural link. I
need to understand if it would be easier to go the USB
device route or what the ramifications are to going the
traditional rf and coax route? I think my install will
require around 60 to 75 ft of feed line. Could I use a
wifi "extender" amplifier at midpoint to get past feedline
losses? If I go the coax route, what would be an easy way
to feed the dish? Could I use a tiny off-the-shelf
external wifi antenna inside of a can or do I need to
homebrew something more extravagant?

If I go the usb device route to feed the dish, how can I
extend that far?

I do need to connect this to a pc as a NIC or client,
therefore remote mounting a router wont do the job for me.

Well I'm no Ham Pro but Network stuff I can help. You can USB to
the dish up to 75 feet BUT, you have to interrupt the line run
with a USB hub before you reach 30 feet, and for Geeky reasons I
don't understand I have been told that NEVER put the
interrupting USB hub evenly in the middle of a run. Sounds like
you need 2 hubs, each at about 25 feet of USB cable. Or; if you
can get to just under the roof in the attic use a HUB at 25
feet, and then a HUB at almost 30 more feet put a cheap Alfa
WiFi USB dongle ½ or 1 watt model [about 70 bucks] Just under
the antenna, then run 10 feet of the 400 Microwave cable from
the Alfa to the feed horn of the dish. 3 db loss at ten feet. I
am using the 3 DB gain Vertical ground that is popular with the
Alfa USB dongle indoors so it's located AT the feed horn itself,
but in your case the semi USB to near the dish then a RF cable
short run for the antenna will keep the Alfa unit out of the
weather. The Alfa watt ratings are crap; I would do the 1 watt
model if you want at least 300 miliwatts out.
My ½ watt model is struggling to be heard, so 3 bar signals it
can hear but the AP's can't hear me as well [I think].
Could be channel bleed though. If you wanted a lesson on FCC law
you would have asked so I wont go there [to much] and as you
know by my previous posts I don't care, but for your own good be
aware you may be pushing the limits. Unlike me if you have a HAM
ticket that could be a problem if you get caught. I'm not big on
POWER drunkenness anyway, sensitivity and narrow RF beams make
more sense and displays intelligence. And the challenge is fun
;-)