Old March 16th 04, 07:14 AM
starman

S R wrote:

Some of my radios have the AIR band. I had never picked up an aircraft or
tower. How does one monitor the AIR band?

Sometimes I'll heard strange signals that may sound like a fax. But I am
not sure what that is.

Is there an AIR frequency list around?

Now on the Marine band I do pick up boats. Well I live near a river. But
should an aircraft fly over my area and I am on it's frequency and a
transmission came out from it, well, because of the speed of the aircraft, I
am not too sure how long it would last.

Boats are much slower. And better for this I think!

73

If you are referring to the VHF airband (118-136 Mhz), you can hear
aircraft when they are within about 100-miles of your location,
depending on their altitude. You might not hear any airtraffic
controllers talking to the planes, if the nearest airport or ATC site is
more than about 50-miles from you. This is because the their
transmitters are on the ground. You can hear a lot of air traffic
communications on shortwave if you know what frequencies to check.

Here's some websites with more info':

http://www.geocities.com/dwingrin/home/airband.htm
(general information)

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtcivair.html
(VHF frequency list. Listen to the "Air traffic control
(towers/centers)" frequencies on this list to hear aircraft in your
area)

http://www.hamuniverse.com/aerofreq.html
(These are the HF or shortwave frequencies for transoceanic aircraft)