Old April 7th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default RG-6 Coaxial Cable for Ham use

Cecil Moore wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
The 75 ohm cable is fine for usage. There are several minor problems
to watch out for. The major one is most of it is aluminum shielding
and can not be soldered to.

There was a guy at the Fort Tuthill hamfest who was
soldering aluminum. Has anyone ever tried his technique
on aluminum coax? I still have some of that aluminum
solder.

Cecil:

Has been my lot that the "solder" is the least important part (got 60/40
to work) ...

Aluminum has the nasty habit of oxidizing almost immediately on
cleaning/brightening. I have had some luck by using a silicone oil/lub
on the braid and scrubbing/sanding the braid clean and then soldering.

Your milage may vary ...

Regards,
JS