Old June 13th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
chuck

Default HF antenna for yacht / boat

Hello John,

The best starting point is probably the
installation guides available at
www.icomamerica.com and www.sgcworld.com.

Those two companies sell ssb radios and automatic
antenna tuners. If your tuner is of a different
make, you might search out information on it.

From there, you can simply do google searches on
any aspects not covered in those manuals.

The ARRL has published a book on marine
installations but I have not seen a copy yet.

Good luck.

Chuck

John Laczik wrote:
Any recommendations for a *simple* antenna that can be used
on a yacht/boat to receive ~500 kHz, and to receive/transmit
in the HF amateur and marine bands (1.5 MHz ~ 30 MHz)?

Currently I am thinking about a length of wire between the
stern and the top of the mast, fed via an ATU at the stern
end. I can make the wire ~50' long. What is the optimum
wire length? As long as possible?

Thanks,

John