Old June 19th 04, 06:59 PM
John Miles

In article ,
says...
"John Miles" wrote in message
You seem to know a lot about these things. I've got the 496P, I think its ver 1.5
The Uncal light is on. What does it mean?

Usually it means you've selected a resolution bandwidth that's too
narrow for the span; e.g., the 100 Hz filter will be too narrow for use
in a 100 kHz/division span. (If you're a ham, that's like turning on
your rig's CW filter and then spinning its flywheel-weighted dial across
the band as fast as you can. You won't hear anything but a few muffled
clicks if you do that, because the filter doesn't have time to respond
to any signals.)

Turning the video filter off may help, too. It will 'smear' at fast
sweep rates just like the RBW filter.

The sweep time/division switch should be set to "Auto" for 99% of all
measurements with these analyzers. If you set it to a fast sweep time,
the Uncal light will come on. (Make sure this switch works properly; I
had a 492 once that sometimes failed to read the switch at power-up
time.)

Also, the manual for this would be really great.

They are fairly common on eBay. Usually sold on CD as .PDF files (such
as
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3821468630), but
once in awhile some originals will show up. Tek has kindly released
their copyright interests in the older test-equipment manuals, so there
are a lot of people selling reprints. I don't know this seller and
can't vouch for the quality.

You can also try http://www.manualsplus.com,
http://www.manualmerchant.com, and http://consolidatedsurplus.com.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam