Old June 10th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Buyer Beware - Cobra Ultralight

I have the Ultralite Senior and am very happy with it. I have it at 30
feet with the ends dropping down about 15 feet since my lot isn't big
enough. I bought it primarily as a local contact antenna since
everything else I have is a vertical of one type or another. It turns
out to work much better than I expected. I have worked the South
Pacific, Europe and Peter One on it with 100 watts

Yes, the Ultralite Senior is quite effective! Mine is at 60 feet at the
apex and the "Vee" droops down to about 20 or so. I get pretty nice signal
reports both from local and afar. You can't always win 'em all, but when an
antenna works *reasonably* well most anywhere you work, a fella can't ask
for much more! And I am perfectly happy with mine.

We had a second station in the 160 meter CQWW contest moving up and
down the band working people. That staion just used a 160 meter dipole
at 60 or 70 feet. I was amazed they could work anyone they called and
got through pileups very quickly, often on one call.

Of course when I compare that antenna to the main transmitting
antennas, it is typically 10-20 db weaker. Sometimes it is 40-50dB
weaker.

Of course I can work anything I can hear with my mobile using a 10 foot
tall antenna. I've worked Europe on SSB 160 meters and Australia
several times on CW, and I've worked all over the world on 80 and 75
meters. I have even worked Australia longpath on 40 meters in the late
aftenoon (VK6VZ) while sitting in rush hour traffic, and I've done that
more than once!

All of the above is absolutely true, and all of the above is totally
meaningless when it comes to quantifying how well an antenna actually
works. The only meaningful part is we are happy with the contacts, and
if I didn't have a better antenna I'd swear my 70 foot high 160 dipole
or my mobile antennas were the best thing on the planet.

73 Tom