Old July 26th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Maxwell Smart #99 Maxwell Smart #99 is offline

Default Open-Sleeve Antenna

jawod wrote:
I came across this in the ARRL Antenna Book (p. 7-21) 20th Edition.

For such a simple set-up, why haven't I heard of anyone using it?

I understand some commercial verticals use this design in some way.

From what I have read, the open-sleeve design has a simple lambda/4
vertical with two side vertical elements of given d diameter and
distance D from the center vertical (monopole).

Given the improvement of SWR bandwidth shown, why isn't this a more
popular approach? (or is it, and I just don't know it?)

John
AB8WH

Look in ARRL Antenna Compendium Vol 5. It has a all band 40 to 10 meter
parallel fed vertical, while not a open sleeve it can achieve the same
objective all bands with no traps. This project is ground mounted. I
just wonder what would happen to this all band wonder if raised off the
ground? Maybe thats why we see all the Commercial antennas like Hygain
and MFJ use all sorts of funny contraptions and transformers on the end
of their versions of these antennas.

The Hygain Hytower is a similar concept, however not open sleeve.

Pat