Old October 1st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Bill Powell Bill Powell is offline

Default Cheap, Small TNC?

I was working on designing a surface mount PC board to build up a
bunch of Bob Ball's nifty $25 PIC-based TNCs together so every RACES
radio would have one built-in. . . and then read the source code and
discovered it doesn't do AX.25 connected mode!

Any suggestions for a TNC that:
- Is cheap enough I can afford to give away 20 of them,
- Is small enough to install inside a mobile radio,
- Is AX.25 connected mode capable,
- Is NOT KISS or APRS (UI) specific,
- Is NOT dependant on ANY PC interaction or support,
- Will digipeat.

So far I can't find anything that meets all those requirements. We
are currently using a limited number of Alinco internal TNCs but they
are expensive, don't digi and only work with Alinco radios.

And - NO - I'm NOT looking for a different way to do what I need to
do: it's Plain Old AX.25 connected mode; NOTHING ELSE!

Thanks in advance,
Bill - WB1GOT