Old October 25th 03, 10:52 PM
David L Thompson

Deane,

All are good antennas. I sold the Fritzel FD-4 80 to 10 OCF dipole in the
mid 90's and used one with good results. I would recommend the Carolina
Short 80 (previously called the Carolina Beam). This has a leg up on the
others if you want both Dx and local skywave results.

The comment about keeping the dipole and adding a tuner is a good one too.
I would suggest making the dipole 135 feet long and using ladderlime tho.
Remember none of these will equal a beam or phased verticals. many of the
locals have put up a big loop skywire (either 80 or 160 full wave loops)
with good success. I have a 80 meter loop up at my Island second home and
can work the world with 100 watts.
73 Dave K4JRB

Deane Charlson wrote in message
Hello,

I have been using single-band half-wave dipoles for years. I would like
to try some multi-band wire antennas and compare performance. I am
considering using an Off Center Fed Dipole or a G5RV or a Carolina
Windom. Any thoughts or experiences with these antennas as compared to
a half-wave dipole?

Thanks & 73s,
Deane
WB2DCF