Old September 3rd 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Gregory [UK] Brian Gregory [UK] is offline

Default What is the Best Direction to 'Point' a Sloper Antenna for DX ?

wrote in message
Because the presently made MLB-1 by Palomar Engineersis a UNUN for a
longwire. The older transformer which I used (may have the original
instruction paper somewhere) was a true BALUN. To build a T2FD we must
use a balun, since it is a broadband dipole.

A long wire balun should not assume you want a common ground connection on
the input and output.

But I've look at the picture and description of the MLB-1 on the web and I
agree it's far from clear what connections are provided.

However if I bought it and found it did have the grounds joined I'd return
it as unacceptable because when using a long wire you want to use a separate
good quality earth which is not joined to your receiver's earth which may
have RF noise on it.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.