Old April 22nd 12, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
raypsi raypsi is offline

Default 2.5KVA transformer on square wave 1000hz mains

I just bought a 50/60 hz transformer rated 575VAC
pri to 230VAC sec
rated at 2.5KVA on ebay. I remember reading some time ago that
transformer companies rated their transformers to 1000 hz.

I'm needing like a 3KVDC at about 1.5KVA semi regulated supply but
don't like to use lots of mfd's of filtering at higher voltages to get
there. For a 4X1 PA ima building.

So I figure getting there by using a tl494 and bridge switching 4
IGBT's at 1000hz
square wave on a 130VDC supply to the 230VAC winding on the
transformer. AT square wave I figure 325 VAC output, from the 575VAC
side.

Running a 10 step ladder multiplier, that would be 5 steps negative
and 5 step positive I should get around 3250VDC. On a half wave
multiplier I figure the last step being hit by 200 hz pulses at each
end of the ladder.

So Am I just spinning my Wheels? and stick with 60hz and lots of mfd's
with a autoformer configuration getting more VDC per step and going
with 6 steps, 3 up and 3 down at 60hz? And no easy way of regulation?

73
de N8ZU somewhere in 8 land