Old March 8th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
rf collins rf collins is offline

Default C Crane SW was not designed for DRM reception :No 12 kHz Output

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:02:46 -0800 (PST), gccradioscience
wrote:

I was thinking about getting a new C Crane SW so I can receive distant
digital radio monodiale radio stations, but I was reading somewhere
else that the portable radio receiver only has a 455 kHz output IF AM
jack. That got me disappointed, cause I have to get a down-converter
box or circuit to add to the radio receiver. C Crane should of
added 2 different jacks on the rear panel a 455 kHz output IF jack and
a 12 kHz AM IF output jack for just DRM reception from the computer.
I just wanted to let everyone know about this. I hope someone can
hear me on this and understand. That it's going to be challenging to
get the new DRM stations on this receiver without that converter
box. I want to share something with others who own the C Crane SW
which I will be getting soon is called the ESP converter box I hope
this helps new and old rec.radio.shortwave listeners with the
difficulty of getting DRM digital radio reception with the C Crane SW
or other receivers out there.

For DRM Converter Box

http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/dm1.html

For Software and other nice goodies :

http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/dm1.html

Happy DRM SW Listening and 73!

Adam E.

If you have a computer you could try a Ten Tec RX-320D black box
receiver which has the 12kHz connector built in. I just gave one away
to a friend. Mine was the older RX-320 which was easily modified for
DRM. Before I gave it to him I tried some DRM reception and it worked
well decoding China Radio relayed from Sackville (Canada) on 6080.
BUT.....

There are not too many DRM broadcasts out there. I tend to agree that
it is a mode that may not be around too long. But on the bright side
if you have a computer hooked to a radio you can decode lots of other
stuff. Digital and analog SSTV and PSK31 to name a few.

Jim