Old February 19th 04, 09:18 PM
Scott Dorsey

chartquest1954 wrote:

HI--Wow that sounds cool, actually seeing a station as a stand-alone,
serving a major metro, and doing local live 24/7! I wish that was
more commonly the case. I live in a radio desert of either
predictable playlists, or jukeboxes, or music for the college set.
I'd be listening to stuff in say NJ, Bulgaria, CA, Denver, Peru, etc.
if I had a computer at home...but, as far as "when did radio stations
start playing 78s?" question, I am actually more trying to figure out
when did stations start compiling "top ten" hit charts, which I am
very avidly seeking. Not knowing the history, I don't know what to
tell dealers in old newspapers, etc., what to look for. I AM PROBABLY
LOOKING FOR "TOP TENS" PRINTED IN NEWSPAPERS before 1957 or so, most
of all. I think they're more likely to turn up than the hand-out
flyers. I would be grateful for any information on the existence of
these (so that, if nothing else, I can know which newspapers to seek
in which cities), or to find anybody who clipped any of these out of
the paper. If you email me
you'll get a message to me faster, probably. Thank you all...

I think what you want are old Billboard magazines, not newspapers. A
trip to your local library will get you a pointer to Billboard on fiche
going way back.
--scott