Old July 25th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
SP1WSC SP1WSC is offline

Default CAT protocol specifications?

JB wrote:

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I
am looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any
pointers or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

Get hold of a packet sniffer and trap the comms between the radio and
commercial control software such as ARCP2000.

Huh - this I also had in mind already but I would still prefer to have
the specs rather than sniff the communications. This is especially valid
when the reason why I need the specs is defined as "no Windows machine
to run the commercial (or non-commercial) control software in the
vicinity" ;-)

Haven't bothered with Yaesu,

Well - that is exactly what I need now. Kenwood is second on the list
because I plan to buy one for winter. Right now I need to do something
with the Yaesu.

but I have a Kenwood TS2000. The radio can run
up to 56.7k and looks like a modem. Uses a standard 9 pin modem cable. The
Owners Manual is available for download and carries a whole section on the
command structure. This structure has been in place since they first
started using it and they just keep adding to it. Earlier radios require a
level shifter and only run 4800bd but have the same memory and vfo commands.

Good to know that there is at least some sanity over the "commerciality"
within Kenwood staff.

Beware that even the power on and several other commands require a sequence
of commands and telemetry. There are commands that interrogate the status
of specific conditions before deciding the appropriate command or string of
commands, but simpler things like reading vfos and mode are simple and
included in many third party programs.

I am currently using ARCP-2000, LOG-eqf, RIG-eqf (for dos), MCP-2000, and a
very interesting Excel spreadsheet by K9DCI that allows management of
extreme frequency lists.

I think I shall archive this post as I plan on TS2000X and may return to
it later.