Old January 27th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default Antenna Pre-amps MFJ 1020C

Dear Mr. Green,

I own the original MFJ-1020 and the later MFJ-1020B. Both are adequate
- no more - when used indoors with the short whip antenna. If you are
able to attach 20 feet - any more and you'll overload it - of
insulated wire to the back via the RCA jack and can run that wire
outside, the performance will improve greatly. The trouble, of course,
when traveling, is that you have to open a window (not always possibly
in a hotel) to run the wire outside.

It might be worth a try, however, as it is not too expensive.
Personally, however, I would recommend trying a Sony AN-LP1 Active
Antenna for about the same price. Unfortunately that antenna is
available only from a Japanese eBay dealer called Buy From Japan. I do
understand, however, that he is extremely reliable and ships very
quickly. (I personally have never dealt with him.)

Best,

Joe

On Jan 26, 7:55 pm, "sdgreen" wrote:
Do a lot of traveling and like to cruise the SW bands etc. Anyone use or
have any comments on the MFJ-1020C indoor active antenna preamp?

Performance? Bands etc.?

Thanks

Using an ICOM R-20 Communications Receiver