Old September 3rd 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Convert DISH TV antenna for WIFI use. USB or RF FEED?

Kaz wrote:
I am looking for an easy way to convert a standard DISH TV offset feed
dish for WIFI use. I desire to mount this thing on the rooftop for a
long distance rural link.

You need to check the regulations for an unlicensed device in the U.S.
There are EIRP (radiated power) restrictions and using a dish antenna
may exceed them.

Since this is a ham radio group, I assume you have a ham license. This may
complicate things, because WiFi is not legal for ham useage. WiFi is very
specific in what is legal or not, so are hams, but they are different.

For example, the modulation method may not be allowed, encryption is not
allowed, commercial useage etc.

I do need to connect this to a pc as a NIC or client, therefore remote
mounting a router wont do the job for me.

Without some sort of device to manage the protocol, WiFi is pretty usesless.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/