Old April 29th 04, 03:03 PM
The other John Smith

"Richard Clark" wrote in message

I spent a few years as a Metrologist specializing in RF power
measurement. Very, very few know the term (even engineers) - think
National Bureau of Standards (or NIST). In practical terms, this
means I have calibrated every item in front of you (and much more).

So, with all the caveats in place, you can easily step right into it
by abandoning them all and noting some values. Then you can implement
each of these issues and observe how much the data changes. This is
the merit of knowing your equipment and your skill. No measurement is
right the first time, nor the second, and rarely the third time.
Besides, it is more fun to refine your bench and testing and close in
on the actual value by hammering out error. The bench artist will
even disturb the set up with a known error, and observe how it
propagates through to the final determination.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thanks for all the good info, Richard.

John