Old September 23rd 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Carolina Windom revisited: 4 to 1 balun does nothing to chokeRF ?

Roy Lewallen wrote:

This isn't to say that an OCF dipole can't be fiddled until, radiating
feedline and all, it manages to present an acceptable SWR on several
bands. But when it does, it's not working at all like predicted by a
simplified analysis which ignores the strong feedline coupling and very
non-ideal transformer effects.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I have switched my balun designs to the one in this URL, Figure 4 -
Improved 4:1 Current Balun, page 3:

http://home.earthlink.net/~christras...k4to1Balun.pdf

Can be used balanced, or forced to unun fashion ... bandwidth becomes
increased (and, it "just works better for me!")

But, what works for you is the most important, always ...

Regards,
JS