Old February 12th 05, 04:09 PM
Greg

From: "Ralph Mowery"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc ,rec.ham-radio
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:08:16 GMT
Subject: Rtty Protocol

Most hams are received in the LSB mode. Comercial statisons usually are
received in the USB mode or the reversed mark/space relationship. Also the
speed (baud rate) and shift are usually differant than the normal ham 45
baud (60 wpm) and 170 Hz shift.

"B.R. Smith" wrote in message
I am using Ham Scope and Mmtty to decode RTTY with my sound card. It
works fine for hame radio operators but I have found RTTY on non-ham
frquencies and all I get is garbage. For example, there is an RTTY
signal at approximately 2.042 MHZ at 1100 UTC on the West Coast and
all that displays is random characters. I suspect it has something to
do with the protocol or baud rate settings. Anyone know what they
might be? Not sure if this is maritime station or not. Thanks.

Okay, I have some questions about RTTY:

1. What unencrypted RTTY traffic is out there besides hams?

2. What sort of encoder would I need to read RTTY with my NRD-525 and what
do I need to know to get it functioning?

3. My receiver has an RTTY mode. What exactly does that do in my receiver?
Couldn't I just use USB or LSB?

Thanks,

Greg