Old June 16th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Best small backyard antenna?

Justis wrote:
MFJ 1024 any good?
Even thinking of a Wellbrook but quite expensive! Really quiet from the
reviews and less bothered by hydro line noise.
Only have 35 foot deep yard by 25 wide.
There are also Bell/Hydro wires running along mine and my neighbors
adjoining backyards.
Appreciate any help.
At present I just have a longwire, 'kinda zigzagging the property. I also
have 9::1 balun which helps with the noise.

The MFJ-1024 works very well electrically; the mechanical part needs
help. The rod is too heavy for the case, so additional strain relief is
needed. I also have waterproofed mine, even though the circuits are
encased in epoxy. Get it 20' in the air, as far as possible from your
Edison, and you should be OK.