Old March 8th 04, 06:14 PM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:05:23 GMT, Irv Finkleman
wrote:

WJDI wrote:

Hi, Did anyone out there hear of a Navy radio transmitter called
a " TED " or (T.E.D.) Please email me at :
thanks Dave Schneider

Yes! The TED was an AM transmitter with a frequency range of
225 to 400 Mhz. We used them for intership communications. I
can't remember their URT designation although I think it may
have been AN/URT-7 ... it was almost fifty years ago in my
days with the Royal Canadian Navy. Tubes, of course, and the
PA's were a pair of 4CX150's

Irv VE6BP

Hi Irv,

Yup, and the corresponding receiver was called the RED. I taught them
both in the UHF course at Treasure Island (USN ET A School). They
were replaced by the AN/SRC-20-21 a channelized monstrosity with a
bajillion doublers and triplers in chains to build up the frequency
that was dialed in.

The TED/RED offered a hands-on appreciation of the physics of
wavelength and component size. Part of a filter consisted of a simple
post located in a hollow (stub in a resonant cavity with linkage
through openings).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC