Old September 20th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
BB BB is offline

Default Hustler G7-144 vs G6-144 vs dipole radiation pattern

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:02:11 -0700, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
Nate Bargmann wrote:

Thanks Dave.

That was an excellent post. It's interesting that I've read testimonials
on eHam and other web pages that claim 15 to 20 years of service with the
G7-144 with no complaints. Then there are some that have had some issues.

The luck of the draw, I suppose?

The G6-144 is a bit more attractive to me right now due to the lower
price and being about 2/3 of the length of the G7. Interestingly, the G6
literature (available at
http://www.dxengineering.com) says, "FCC
accepted for Repeater application at 6db gain based on EIA Standard
RS-239: gain compared to 1/2 wave dipole." I've never heard of antennas
being "FCC accepted for Repeater application" before.

I imagine that there may be some such regulations for some of the
commercial or public-safety bands? Minimum or maximum gains allowed,
or cleanliness-of-pattern perhaps?

There are none I know of. However, commercial systems are licensed by
ERP, so I would suspect that the antenna gain figures must be accurate
in order to get the ERP calculations correct.

Regards,

Bruce