Old July 2nd 05, 10:24 AM
John Plimmer

Stephan gave an extremely useful and comprehensive website for receiver
performance which I had not come across befo
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
As a mediumwave DXer, Bob Sherwood ranks the various receiver performances
by:
"Sorted by Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced"
which I know to be the MOST important spec in a MW DX receiver.

Very informative and blows the lid on some very expensive receivers that
just don't cut the cake.
OTOH the AOR 7030 comes out smelling like roses just off the top of the
pick.

thanks for posting that Stephan

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"Stephan Grossklass" wrote in message
m II schrieb:

How do these radios compare? They were both relatively modest relatives

of the
expensive rigs being sold at the time.

Did you mean R-1000 and FRG-*7700*, by any chance? You can find some
measurements for those (along with the FRG-100) on the Sherwood
Engineering page:
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
The Kenwood should be the better performing of the two overall. Note the
comparatively high phase noise of these semi-synthesized sets. I think
the Sony ICF-6800 employed a similar receiver concept. Not sure whether
it's as closely related to the Wadley concept as you think... I suggest
you get the R-1000 service manual off the web and read the functional
description.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W