Old August 18th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
[email protected] jgboyles@aol.com is offline

Default Can I use a 120V Variac to get 220V?

wrote:
I want to reform the electrolytics in an amp I'm bringing back to life.
It runs high power, 220 volts ac only.

Can I use my 110 volt variac in conjunction with a 110V to 220V step-up
transformer to power up the amp? Obviously I'd not go key-down, but I
do want to ultimately get to the full B+ on the tubes.

How would I wire-up the variac / transformer, assuming it's possible?

Thanks in advance for the help, guys.

73,
Jeff
W8KZW

Hi Jeff, Wire the output of the variac to the primary of the
transformer, and the secondary to the 220V power input of the Amp. You
may want to remove the tube(s) or disable the filaments to reduce the
burden on the step up transformer.
If the power transformer in the amp has a 110v tap, connect it up and
then just use the variac. Be careful when you are doing this, there
are all sorts of lethal voltages present. Good luck.
Gary N4AST