Old July 4th 05, 10:57 PM
Stephan Grossklass

m II schrieb:

Sorry about that.. I should have been more explicit. I meant to compare the
r-1000 tuning to the Barlow-Wadley setup in the FRG-7. That Yaesu has the
similar thirty band, 1 Mhz step switch along with the khz spread dial. Very
similar, except for the digital readout.

The FRG-7 is a true Wadley Loop design, three IFs and all. These are a
bit problematic because of their very wide 1st IF (remember, 1 MHz
spread) and thus plenty of potential for intermod. (The Sony analogs
with the "dual conversion light" concept using 10.7 MHz / 455 kHz are a
good example. My ICF-7601, while being fairly sensitive, regularly drove
me nuts when the respective band got a bit more crowded. At least the
FRG-7 uses a mixer based on a dual gate MOSFET.) The R-1000 is a fairly
conventional dual conversion rig with a high 1st IF, only the frequency
synthesis is a bit funky. (I'll have to look at it again one day, didn't
really get the hang of it last time. Not too surprisingly, given my
level or rather lack of experience in these things.) This generation of
receivers - to which, as I mentioned, the FRG-7700 belonged as well -
came out a few years after the venerable FRG-7.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W