Old March 6th 12, 06:17 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What's the most accurate elevation tool on the net (freebie)

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 01:24:06 -0800, miso wrote:

On 3/5/2012 8:26 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Ok. Go thee unto:
http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html
Follow the destructions at:
http://www.cplus.org/rmw/download/download.php?S=1
For maps, download the SRTM3 maps for your area from:
http://rmw.recordist.com

Oops. I meant the SRTM1 maps.
http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM1/

I've used Radio Mobile and SPLAT!. I never got a warm and fuzzy with
Radio Mobile. Of course, it is a bit more complicated to use SPLAT!.

I've used both. Radio-Mobile has a very steep learning curve.
Important functions are buried deep into obscure menus, useless trivia
is scattered all over the menus, there's no logical sequence of
operation, and many of the terms require expertise in cartography.
Debugging errors is tricky as important items, such as the performance
characteristics of the radios, are scattered over a half dozen menu
pages. I find myself constantly referring to my cheat sheet in order
to get anything done. However, I haven't found anything else that
even comes close to what it does.

One obvious advantage to SPLAT! is it can analyze very large areas. Not
all that useful in the case of this wifi setup, but very useful in sigint.

http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html
Splat is somewhat easier to use, but as you note, is designed to
display repeater coverage. It's less useful for close in coverage, or
showing coverage details, as in mountainous or urban jungle terrain.

Both programs put considerable effort into implementing complex
terrain models. For 2.4 and 5.7Ghz, optical line of sight is close
enough.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D