Old August 25th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Straydog Straydog is offline

Default My vacuum tube homebrew transmitter

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Highland Ham wrote:

What happened to old-fashioned skill? 50 years ago guys worked the world
with a crystal and a single 6L6 and straight key. Now, they are all couch
potatoes in front of a
black box that looks like its from outer space. ;-)

==============================
50 years ago the bands were sooooo quiet (relatively speaking) that you
didn't need today's sophistication

I am retired out in the country (nearest town is 7 miles away, nearest
traffic light is 2.2 miles away). here, now, in the summertime, my
background static noise on 75 meters, believe it or not, is usually about
S 1 to S3. Only when we have thunderstorms does it get up to S 9 or more.
Yes. Believe it or not. A guy I ragchew with on 75 meters lives in the
city. His noise is never less than S8 and quite often 20-40 db over S 9,
and he can't find the source.

Although even today ,by using QRP equipment ....and Morse
telegraphy.........simple gear can still give a lot of enjoyment, but
in 20 - 30 years time ,how many hams will then still be using Morse code?

It will be like slide rules and logarithms: forgotten. If teh kids can't
find the answers on the internet, then the project just will not be done.
And, they are still trying to figure out how the Egyptians built the
pyramids.

But as far as 'local ragchew' is concerned , I agree with you ,simple
homebrew gear will still do the trick .

Yep.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH north of Scotland

Good luck with Gordon Brown!!!