Old June 6th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 16 volt pilot lamp for FT-101

Paul P REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote:

I'd be curious how the original one failed, though.

Mechanical failure.

It looks good but does not conduct. It threw me for a while before I
actually tested it instead of looking at it.

One of the first things they taught me in tech school in the 70's. Ohm out
the lamps and fuses.

I know this sounds weird... but try applying 16V to the thing with a bench
supply and see what happens.

I have seen some lamps that seem to be an open until power is applied
and then they become normal. I don't know what causes it, it's as
if a layer of corrosion built up on a contact somewhere.

Odds are it really IS bad, but five minutes will make sure.
--scott