Old February 4th 05, 02:53 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"pfriedmanNoSpam" wrote in message
"jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I found a reference to a 10-40 meter flagpole antenna for HOAs
that don't like antennas. But they all require radials as long as the
vertical height of the antenna, and my minuscule lot just won't be
large enough for radials of any significant size. Is there any other
option for a vertical antenna for 10-40 meters that doesn't require
radials?

In another location, I used a random length dipole under the eves of
the house with a Johnson Matchbox tuner with good results. And maybe, I
can do the same with a random length dipole in the attic, but the
flagpole is an intriguing option. And I was always concerned about the
radiation in the house from the antenna and from the ladder line lead.
In fact, the irrigation solenoid valves used to open when I
transmitted.

jimbo

Jim:

I suggest that you do not get carried away with not having room for "full
length" radials. I've read some interesting research (I will find the
references if you are interested) on this. It appears that radials as

short
as 0.1 wavelength are quite effective. Are longer ones better. Yes. It is
also better to be transmitting in the middle of the ocean. It is better

be young, rich, and handsome, too.

Seriously, lay down whatever radial pattern you can. The more the better,
the longer the better, but you will surprised how quickly (in both cases)

it
becomes a matter of quickly diminishing returns.

A friend of mine lives in a restricted community in Southern Cal. He got
permission to put up a flag pole, so he and (I was visiting at the time)
went out on a Sunday afternoon when everyone could see us and set-up his
flagpole, raised the U.S. Flag, etc. Then, about 3 a.m. we went back out

and
buried 4 radials and a coax feedline. There are not enough radials and

they
are too short. However, he has no problem working the entire Pacific Rim
with 100w.

Paul AB0SI

I live in the sticks, so I can put up whatever I please.
But it seems to me a metal roof with a Fluidmotion SmallIR with a flag on
the roof would ROCK from 20 on up.
Of course folks who wanted just a flag have been screwed by homeowner's
associations.
OTOH a nice copper gutter can get the job done.
Or just build a kick-ass mobile rig.

BTW
Why do people even get involved with such BS, anyway?
I didn't make you live there.

73
H.
NQ5H