Old January 5th 05, 01:21 PM
Gary

On 05 Jan 2005 00:28:55 GMT, (JGBOYLES) wrote:

a friend of mine has suggested for 80m on up a full size 80 meter
"dipole" 66' X inches per leg, center fed with 300 Ohm twinlead

Hi Gary, A classical Zepp or Zepplin antenna is not center fed. I thought they
were end fed and hanging down from the airships of WW2.
If you have the room for a full sized 80m dipole, use 300 ohm or 450 ohm
ladder line with a choke balun (1:1 W2DU) and an antenna tuner. Will work
great on all HF bands. Don't mess with a 4:1 balun. Doesn't provide enough
benefit for this type of antenna.
The best "all band" antenna I have ever used was a 100' dipole, high as
possible, fed with ladder line and a tuner. Don't know if the 1:1 balun I used
did much.
73 Gary N4AST

Thanks Gary. I hadn't heard of a "center fed Zepp" before either and
your description of them being end fed and hanging down from airships
of WW2 correlates with what I'd heard.

73 Gary K8IQ