Old June 27th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
[email protected] Paine.Tom@gmail.com is offline

Default hy-gain hy-range v hygain hyrange v schematics

On May 28, 8:03*pm, HarryHydro wrote:
Hi Folks:
* * * I found this radio at a flea-market and had to buy it. *Just $2.
It works anyway.
I put it on a IFR (spectrum analyzer) and it's damn spurious,
especially on one of the sidebands! I shut-it-up a bit with tuning,
and I guess it's down about -40dB of fundimental, but I think it could
be cleaner. *AM is clean (better than 50 dB down) but it was touchy to
get it clean. At least the 11.275MHz doubler circuit is very
spurious. *I just ordered schematics from Kens Electronics.
* * I like this old radio. *The controls feel very smooth. *I have the
crystals about as close to where they need to be, but most of the
crystals are too low. *I read on the net that the 4-crystal bank needs
to be tuned 3kc higher than marked. *Only one of the four went that
high. *I think I can get close to channel-center with the clarifier on
the other bank. *The PCB containing the crystals seems to have been
worked on with cut traces and jumpers. *I'm thinking someone either
tried to slide it or this is a factory mod. *That leads me to thinking
what the difference is between the 674A and 674B.
* If anyone has any experience/hints to this radio they'd like to
share, I'd much appreciate it!
Thanks!
Harry

Hi Harry. I collect Hy-Gain V's! It was my radio of choice awhile
back and now try to pick them up when I see them at ridiculously low
prices. They are too bulky for many people's taste but they are solid
and they last. You seem to know more about radios themselves though.
I don't know for sure but I know you can find Hy-Gain V in both 23 and
40 channel varieties. Perhaps that is the difference between the A
and B models.

Tom