Old September 13th 03, 03:31 PM
Frank White

In article ,
says...

Hello all

For a long time I have been interested in Shortwave listening, and

have noticed on the internet that Digital radio is becoming more
prevalent. Before I go out and invest some money on a quality reciever,
is it safe to assume it is a hobby I can enjoy for years to come, or
will Shortwave be replaced in 5 years by more modern technology?

Thanks for any input,

JM Doiron

I've been hearing for years that shortwave was dying and other
means of communication would replace it.

Shortwave's still here. Many of the people making those
prophesies aren't. Draw your own conclusions.

(I access the BBC's Internet broadcasts through my computer
occasionally. It works. IF you have a computer. And a stable
source of electricity. And a modem. And a phone line or
network. And access to the internet with the necessary
software. And if the lines are clear, and the BBC is on line,
and if you can connect, and if you don't get disconnected too
often.

That's a LOT of "if's".

Shortwave is much easier, and cheaper.)

FW