Old December 6th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ken scharf ken scharf is offline

Default 6L6 substitute

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article
,
JIMMIE wrote:

I am considering an 807 as a replacement

Jimmie-

Just how simple will this transmitter be? My first novice transmitter
was built from an ARRL publication back in the 50s. The specification
was for a single 6V6, used as a crystal oscillator with output coupled
to the antenna.

I found I could get more power with a 6L6 plugged into the same socket.
Along the way to getting more power, I found that crystal current would
increase to the point where the crystal would fracture!

If you use a 807 or 1625, I hope you will have a lower power oscillator
driving it. Something like a 6AG7 would make a nice crystal oscillator,
and should have sufficient output to drive an 807.

73,
Fred
K4DII

The 6AG7 - 807 combo is a classic. E. F. Johnson sold a 50 Watt Novice
transmitter in the '50's with this tube line up (also a 5R4GY rectifier
IIRC). Other tubes that have been used as the oscillator/driver were
the 6CL6, 12BY7, 6GK6, and 5763.