Old July 10th 04, 11:55 AM
Scott

Nevermind...I found the technical data sheets on the web. Is is NOT
conductive after set up. It has iron filings in it, but since it is an
epoxy, it is not conductive. The good news is that it CAN be drilled,
tapped, machined, etc., just like any metal could be...the mounting
screws should provide the "ground" connection once they are screwed into
the waveguide itself.

Scott
N0EDV

Scott wrote:

I am modifying some DSS satellite feedhorns for use at 10 GHz. Wondering
if JB Weld is electrically conductive after it sets up. I was thinking
I would use JB Weld to build up the outside of the "waveguide" since
after boring it out to 3/4" will only leave a wall thickness of about
1/16". That doesn't leave much meat for the two machine screws that
will be used to mount the panel mount SMA connector to screw in to.
That's only about 2.5 threads if I use 4-40 hardware or 3.5 threads if
I use 2-56. Not sure what size holes are in the SMA, which will dictate
which hardware will have to be used. God forbid if it takes a 6-32
screw to do the job (2 threads). The mounting screws can not penetrate
into the waveguide. Any other ideas?

Something else I just thought of...once the JB Weld has set up, will I
be able to tap threads into it?

Scott
N0EDV