Old May 4th 05, 05:22 AM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article ,
says...

hello all,

With all these super cheap FRS radios around, is it possible to
reprogram/convert these trancievers to the 440 Amateur band?? I
realize they would be probably simplex but seems if they can make
these radios that cheap, why cant they do the same thing for the
amateur 440 band??

I can't imagine why anyone would want to. FRS radios are, by
design, cheap, nasty, and poor performers where RF is concerned. You'd
get better performance out of an old Motorola HT-220 portable
(discontinued in 1979) than you would out of an FRS unit.

If you want some inexpensive radios for amateur 440 use, pop over
to Greed-Bay or your nearest ham radio swap meet, and poke around for
some Motorola HT600's or something similar. You'd be much better off,
and there are plenty of folk who can program and align them for you if
you lack the equipment to do so yourself (I know, because I'm one of
'em). ;-)

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm --
www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"