Old June 15th 04, 07:02 PM
lsmyer

You're right about the SRIII being fun to listen to. It's a great radio for
nighttime listening. You pick it up, turn it on, and just start tuning. And
you can hear things you're not going to hear on any of your other portables.
Sure it doesn't have a dial light, but if you're just listening and not
being serious about it, then it's a sweet radio.

In my comparison test, the radio's lack of accurate tuning was a significant
problem because I was trying to make a written record of how each radio
performed on every single frequency. And since this radio picked up things
that no other radio was picking up, then I was really having a problem
trying to identify frequencies during its test. For my purposes, digital
tuning would have been an enormous help.

Back in the 70s, my dxing hobby included the component of logging stations
by frequency. All I had back then was analog tuning and nothing to check the
accuracy against other than waiting for a known station to identify itself,
and then try to estimate the frequency of the new station. That was even
tougher back then because you had stations like WLAC calling themselves "15
WLAC" even though they were actually on 1510. Now digital displays are so
common that stations say their real frequency, even on FM. I think it also
helps their arbitron ratings to mention their exact frequency.