Old January 4th 05, 12:35 PM
Gary

Default Center Fed " Zepp " with Coaxial Balun ?

I'm mulling over different antenna designs for this spring / summer
and a friend of mine has suggested for 80m on up a full size 80 meter
"dipole" 66' X inches per leg, center fed with 300 Ohm twinlead. He
has this arrangement and the twinlead comes into his house and is
connected to two 10' sections of RG-8X both rolled into a coil about
6" in diameter. He then takes and connects the braid and shield of one
of the coax coils to one leg of the twindlead and I'm not exactly
certain how the other leg is connected. He claims it's a 4:1 coaxial
balun. I wonder if some of the experts here are familiar with this
type of arrangement. He claims it has lower losses than connecting it
to the 4:1 balun in his tuner. Any thoughts on the subject ?

Thanks in advance

73 Gary K8IQ

Remove extra @'s to reply directly