Old April 20th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] is offline

Default Homebrew 11 tube CB receiver info wanted

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:38:55 +0000, Michael Black wrote:
I thought building a kit CB transceiver was illegal due to the type
acceptance issue?

So perhaps the type acceptance came a bit later? I can't remember (not
that I was aware of such things at the time, but I have read lots of
back issues of magazines).

ISTR:

- Heath equipment was acceptable contingent on being assembled
according to the instructions. There was a notice in some of the manuals
about that - ISTR some devices where one part was a Part 15 label which
the builder was to sign & date & stick to the completed kit certifying
they'd followed the instructions.

- It was legal to homebrew CB gear in the early days of the service, but
that rule was changed - well before the 1960s. (I'm not sure it was
*ever* legal to homebrew 27MHz CB gear, it may have only been legal for
the old 470MHz stuff)