Old March 18th 04, 05:05 AM
S R

Default Shortwave Strange Sounds

I like both analog & digital shortwaves radios. With analog, I often hear
more different kinds of sounds that I would not always hear on digital
shortwave radios.

Sometimes their are evenings when I can not pick up any broadcasting
signals. So I'll just listen to the different noises in the different
bands and wonder if I could identify any of them. (As a SWL, what else could
I do? LOL!)

One type of sound, sounds like strong winds & storms. If fact this sound
may run over many frequencies through out a band. (I hear this more on
digital). I wonder if these are utility stations?

Another strange sound is like a bubbles exploiting. I hear this only on
analog.

Sometimes I hear what might sound like beacons. But I have not way to
confirm it.

I wish someone puts together a recording of all of these sounds & help
identify them.

The sound I like the most is that sequel sound that is heard on analog then
turning the dial.

Although I love digital radios for their features, but when you bring the
squelch down, the noise is too clean. It is not nature enough for me. LOL!

Hey, what is AFC, X-TAL & Superheterodne???

And did the strange sounds of tube radio were different from transistor
radios?

73