Old June 21st 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux[_2_] Jim Lux[_2_] is offline

Default 80m/160m trap dipole

maxpower wrote:
Hello All,
I have an 80m dipole that I wish to use on 160m as well. I am
considering using traps on the existing dipole. I have searched the
web and have not found any 80m/160m trap dipoles. Has anyone added
traps to their 80m dipole to make it usable on 160m? Or could anyone
point me in the right direction towards homebrewing traps to suit. I
have made traps in the past for 40m/80m dipoles but I am unsure what
dimensions, length, turns etc I would need for homebrewing a trap to
make my 80m dipole useable on 80m and 160m.
Thank You.
Cheers
Max

Would a switchable network at the feedpoint work for you? You could
send power to operate a relay up the feedline. The gain/efficiency of
a half length dipole (e.g. 40 m long for use on 160m) isn't all that
bad compared to full size. It's only when you get down in the tenth
of a wavelength or less that you start seeing big changes.