Old March 17th 04, 04:40 AM
Mark Keith

William Mutch wrote in message nell.edu...
In article ,
says...
Some of my radios have the AIR band. I had never picked up an aircraft or
tower. How does one monitor the AIR band?

Sometimes I'll heard strange signals that may sound like a fax. But I am
not sure what that is.

Is there an AIR frequency list around?

The easiest way to find frequencies is to call a fixed base
operator (aviation company) or flight school at your nearest airport and
ask what is locally in use. 122.90 is a nationwide simplex frequency
which may or may not be used at all in your area depending on the size
of the airport.

Yea, thats a "unicom" freq. Same for 122.7 and 122.8 I think. In
cities, many times you will have a helicopter unicom in about
123.025,050,075 range.
It will vary, but as a rule most of the VOR's, ILS, etc are pretty low
in the band. From about 108 to 117 mhz.
Most towers run from 118 to the lower 130's mhz range.
Same for most approach and departure freq's.
Most center freq's run in the upper part of the voice band. "lower and
mid 130's range" "132,133,134.??? are all busy "center" areas in the
band. Do a band edge search...The aircraft that are talking to center
will be your highest aircraft, as they are at cruise. They will be
heard the farthest distances. I'm in Houston, and I can hear aircraft
at cruise 250-300 miles away. Same for ACARS transmissions.
Most ground control is 121.7,8,9. Maybe lower in a crowded city... If
you hear a controller tell a plane upon landing to go to "ground point
niner" that means 121.9. "ground point eight" means 121.8, etc....
Most ATIS are in the lower and mid 120's range.
ACARS is mainly in the 129,130,131 mhz range..One exception that I
listen to is 136.8 mhz.. One way to find more freq's is simply to copy
the freq's given to pilots at ATC handoffs. IE: A pilot will take off,
and once airborne the tower will tell him to go to departure at say
119.7 as an example. Follow him there, and when he is handed off to
center, grab that freq also...You may have to get used to the rapid
fire lingo... IE: a quick handoff from departure to center might go
something like "Southwest 8, contact center, thirty two point seven
seven,.... That means 132.77. They often skip the 1st number as it's a
no brainer...:/ Antenna height is important if you want to hear
towers. MK