Old September 22nd 03, 03:23 PM
MD

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
In article , Bob M. wrote:

The rest of your symptoms are very strange. I can offer no help at all.
Obviously something is wrong, but I can't even begin to tell you what to
look for.

They are very common. Kenwood potted the main PLL in a rubber compound
to isolate from thermal changes and mechanical shock. In plain English to
slow down the effect of temperature changes and prevent frequency jumping
if you tapped the radio, or when mobile went over a bump.

The TS450's do NOT use the compund that caused so many problems in the
TS440's. I have owned both.

The fix is simple in theory and is documented on the Kenwood web site.
You remove the shield from the main PLL, remove the rubber compound,
replace any parts damaged due to corrosion and readjust the PLL.

AS I said there is no compound in the 450.

If you are experiencing a row of dots on your display, this is a sign your
VCO is out of lock. If you can borrow a service manual, it is very easy to
realign.