Old October 23rd 15, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] nobody@nowhere.com is offline

Default [K0NR] Digital Voice Balkanization

In article (K0NR via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin) writes:

.png Wouldn't it be cool if we had one digital communications format for the
VHF/UHF amateur bands with all equipment manufacturers offering compatible
products? The basic modulation and transport protocol would be standard with
manufacturers and experimentersÂ* able to innovate on top of that basic
capability. There would be plenty of room to compete based on special
features but all radios would interoperate at a basic level. You know, kind
of like analog FM.

Then we could be locked in a present day set of protocols, and in 10 years
would be wondering why we are stuck with these obsolete protocols while on-line
protocols are so much better in quality and compression. Similarly, we would
be stuck with the modulation method, while the multi-carrier COFDM folks would
be running data at 5 to 10 times the data rate in the same bandwidth (or some
such, recognizing Shannon limitations).

But, I agree with the advantage of analog FM. We can quickly tell how well
the signal is doing by listening to it. Everyone can do it. Bandwidth used
is reasonable. I don't see why we would want to go away from it.

Alan