Old March 13th 12, 08:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
coffelt2 coffelt2 is offline

Default S-38B Question

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Channel Jumper wrote:

The radio is of little value - since it only did CW AM and has no
SSB....
Just looking on Flea Bay tells me that they had issues with the
cardboard on the rear of the radio - lot's of reproductions.

Sure it will do SSB! The BFO isn't adjustable, but the IF is wide as a
barn, wide enough that you can just set it on CW and then tune back and
forth until you get clear audio. Mind you it's unusable in a pileup...
--scott

Bought my FIRST S-38 from the base exchange at Amarillo AFB, Tx, in
1951.
It was small enough to fit under my bunk, behind my lined up (and shined)
shoes. I was
already a ham, but Uncle Sam had better things for me to do!
Don't remember when I parted with that little Honey, but the following
year, 1952,
in the barracks in Germany, I built Heathkit's AR-1 (or was it AR-2?). A
crowd gathered
when I first plugged it in. A little curl of smoke from a resistor had them
all laughing, but
then loud music erupted, and there were cheers!
Now, a couple of years later, I found a maybe 6 of 10, 6 tube S-38. I
haven't got
my new cardboard back or bottom yet, but knobs are perfect. Some Gentleman
in the
Midwest is selling capacitor (condensers, really) kits, which I have. (for
three years)
Rome was not built in a day.

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ